"The wise learn from their own experiences but the truly intelligent will learn from someone else's!" - Benjamin Franklin. Welcome

Akbani Informatics: A full-service consultancy for training, and information management. For Information services, Research, Content management, Training, Human Resources, Helpful Advice & Related Services Visit www.akbani.info  


Tuesday, June 05, 2007

19 questions for you to ask yourself


Mary Pergander is director of the Lake Bluff (Ill.) Public Library. Send comments or questions to working@ala.org
[PS. While the following 19 are from the desk of a librarian, note that a librarian neither works from the outer space nor practices rocket science! The bottom line is: these questions can be for you, even if you are not a librarian, & / or wear any other hat]

By Mary Pergander, American Libraries Columnist
Working Knowledge: A Monthly Column about Life on the Job, Column for May 2007


  • Am I present and ready to work on time every day?
  • Do I minimize personal computer/e-mail/phone time at work?
  • Do I limit my work hours, take my breaks and vacations, and in other ways practice good selfcare?
  • Do I set and meet my goals, and keep my commitments?
  • Do I speak respectfully to and about others, even when they are not present?
  • Do I exemplify excellent customer service?
  • Do I use my time effectively and deliver high-quality results?
  • Is my work complete, timely, attractive, and well organized?
  • Do I work cooperatively and collaboratively with others?
  • Do I make good use of the time of coworkers?
  • Do I smile and acknowledge others?
  • Do I allow others to speak without interrupting?
  • Do I return all calls the same day I receive them?
  • Do I follow up on e-mails as promised?
  • Do I encourage others?
  • Am I open to feedback?
  • Am I honest and authentic?
  • Would I want to have myself as an employee?
  • Would I want to have myself for a boss?


See also my previous related posts:
  • 2007 ALA Annual Poster Sessions Abstracts - Online!
  • Toxicity in the library workplace - a survey
  • ALA Emerging Leaders Poll - Survey
  • Success and Motivation: What I learned from Bobby Knight
  • Diversity Resources - Accommodation, Tolerance and Coexistence
  • No comments: