The inspiring story of two brothers who immigrated to America from India and took very different paths to becoming world-renowned healers and teachers.
At a time when America is fiercely divided on the issue of immigration, Brotherhood tells the story of two brothers who pursued the American dream to its fullest expression. In the early 1970s, Deepak and Sanjiv Chopra joined a flood of immigrants looking to make a new life in America, a land of opportunity. Having grown up in postwar India amidst the sudden freedom of the 1947 liberation, their childhood was a blend of the exotic, the mythical, and the modern. Their father was one of the first Indians to become a Western-trained cardiologist, while their extended family maintained deep roots in ancient spiritual traditions. Brotherhood follows the Chopra brothers as one becomes a world-renowned spiritual teacher and the other rises to the top of Western medicine to become a professor at Harvard Medical School. Their story will fascinate and inspire anyone who still believes in America’s capacity to foster achievement and reward hard work.
- "[Brotherhood] depicts some fascinating aspects of Indian assimilation in America, and the often hilarious, touching cultural clash." —Publishers Weekly
- "An inspiring and brilliantly written memoir of two brothers taking two drastically different paths to medicine, each giving us hope that dreams can still be fulfilled in America."—Larry King
- "In Brotherhood, Deepak and Sanjiv beautifully articulate their birthright and the intoxicating and permeative influence it had on their lives as doctors and spiritual practitioners in the Western world. Through their entertaining storytelling, they thoughtfully and humorously depict how, in India, chaos and order, the ancient and modern, faith and disbelief collide to create enduring influence. I, too, discovered that you can leave India but that she never leaves you."—Jacqueline Lundquist, author and former First Lady of the U.S. Embassy, New Delhi, India
- "A charmingly conversational tale of devotion--to each other and to the science and art of medicine." Kirkus Reviews
About the Authors:Deepak Chopra, M.D., CEO, The Chopra Foundation, Adjunct Professor, Kellogg School of Management @ Northwestern University, and @ Columbia Business School, Columbia University, and Senior Scientist @ The Gallup Organization. www.choprafoundation.org
Sanjiv Chopra, M.D. Professor of medicine, Dean continuing education @ Harvard Medical School and the author of five books, such as, Leadership by Example and Live Better, Live Longer. www.sanjivchopra.com.
Table of Contents
To the Reader xi 1 Sacred River 1 (18) 2 Blind for a Day 19 (12) 3 Charmed Circle 31 (16) 4 Lucky Sari 47 (10) 5 Miracles in Hiding 57 (14) 6 Rama and Lakshmana 71 (8) 7 Laus Deo 79 (14) 8 First on the Waiting List 93 (14) 9 Innocent Bystander 107(16) 10 Real Doctors 123(6) 11 Godfather Land 129(16) 12 First Impressions 145(20) 13 State of the Art 165(16) 14 A Giant in Medicine 181(16) 15 An Obscure Light 197(14) 16 Being and Bliss 211(14) 17 The Pathless Land 225(18) 18 Soothsayer or Charlatan 243(14) 19 Science of Life 257(20) 20 Finger on the Pulse 277(12) 21 Birth Pangs 289(22) 22 Miraculous Cures 311(14) 23 American Dreaming 325(22) 24 Peak Experience 347(12) Postscript 359(6) Acknowledgments 365
- Rivalry and Brotherhood: Politics in the Life of Farmers in Northern India
- A Navajo In India Ancient Brotherhood
- The Brotherhood (The Brotherhood Trilogy) Tejas Desai
- Anandamath, or The Sacred Brotherhood Bankimcandra Chatterji
- Bhakti pathway to god the way of love union with god and universal brotherhood in Hinduism and Christianity edited by Kala Acharya. Lalita Namjoshi. Giuseppe Zanghi organized by K.L. Somaiya Bharatiya Sanskriti Peetham and the Centre for Interfaith Dialogue. Focolare Movement.
'Isms & 'Ologies: All the Movements, Ideologies and Doctrines That Have Shaped Our World
- The Bahai movement for universal religion, brotherhood and peace : a sketch of its history and teaching Charles Mason Remey
- Itamar makes Friends; A Children's Story Of Jewish Brotherhood Josh Hasten
- Bridge to brotherhood : Judaism's dialogue with Christianity. Stuart E. Rosenberg